If you have already started with some plan of your choice at 10Web, your next logical step is buying a domain name and registering it at 10Web, or in other words, pointing it to 10Web.
Here we’ll talk about how and where do you buy a domain name from and how do you register it at 10Web. Basically, the process goes this way -
- First you choose a domain name registrar
- Then you choose an available domain name and buy it
- Afterwards you point your 10Web to the domain name.
Let’s talk about it all in more detail.
What is a domain name registrar
Basically, a domain name registrar is where you can buy a domain name. To be more specific - a domain name registrar is a company that distributes unique domain name servers through authorized sales. Most famous domain name registrars include GoDaddy, Namecheap, Google Domains, Cloudflare and others.
How do you buy a domain name
Even though the very specific process of buying a domain name varies from registrar to registrar, the main outline remains the same. We’ll cover it on a particular example.
Suppose you decided to buy a domain name from, say, GoDaddy. Here’s how you can do that:
- Visit Godaddy.
- In the search box above the page search for the domain name you’re looking for to find out whether it’s available.
- After choosing the domain name click the blue Add to Cart button.
- Afterwards click the green Continue to Cart above.
- You’ll be redirected to a page of offers for extra pay, such as privacy protection and security. Select the option you desire and click Continue to Cart.
- In the right side of the page that opens you should select the timespan of your purchase (from 1 to 10 years).
- Then, if you already have a Godaddy account sign in to the latter, otherwise just sign up for a new account.
- Once you’re logged in you’ll be prompted to choose a payment form and enter your bank card information.
- Click Save then click Complete Purchase.
- That’s basically it.
How do you point it to 10Web
Now that you’ve already purchased a brand new domain name it’s time to point it to 10Web. Here’s how you do just that:
- Log in to your 10Web dashboard.
- Choose the website you want to add the domain to and click Manage.
- On the left side blue menu click Domains.
- On the right side of the page click Add Domain.
Now you have to use nameservers to point the domain name to your website. Most probably your domain name registrar has offered you buying nameservers, however it’s highly recommended you use the 4 free nameservers 10Web offers you, since the latter, apart from being free, also provide premium DNS.
Here’s what you should do now:
- First of all you have to find your nameservers.
- In case the domain was just added the nameservers will automatically appear in a popup on your screen.
- Otherwise just click Domains on your left side menu to locate them.
- At this point you have to point the domain you bought to 10Web. To do that you need to replace your domain nameservers with those provided by 10Web.
- This process again differs from one domain name registrar to another, however the main idea remains the same. Let’s continue on the example of GoDaddy again:
- First off, sign in back to your GoDaddy account.
- On the right side menu click Manage Domains.
- Choose the domain name you’re pointing to 10Web and click the gear icon, then click Manage DNS.
- Scroll the page that opens till you find the Nameservers section.
- Next to "using default nameservers" click Change.
- Under Choose your new nameservers type choose Custom and click Save.
- Back from your 10Web dashboard copy the custom nameservers provided.
- Now you just have to paste those nameservers in the corresponding fields in your GoDaddy account. Click Add Nameserver and add all 4 of those.
- Once you click Save below the page, 10Web will automatically take care of the rest for you. All that’s left to do is wait for your website to go live after the propagation process is over.
If you encounter any problems or issues on the way, feel free to contact our responsive Customer Care team professionals.